Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Getting in Shape

June 18, 2008 - Day 5

I got ambitious this morning waking up early to hit the hotel gym for a little treadmilling. As I cruised through my warmup mile, I was amazed at how easy it felt, and at how little energey I was expending. I ramped up the speed for my next couple of miles, and before I knew it, I was reeling off consecutive miles at a pace that I hadn't achieved in quite some time. I was at a loss to explain my newfound athleticism. Extra rest? I have been stretching out a little more regularly, could that have been it? Then suddenly, I realized how I had achieved such speed and endurance....

The treadmill was set for kilometers, not miles.

Also, we did our first bit of actual work today, attending a meeting that we were expecting to be short and painful, but turned out to be short and very productive. Allen likes to say that it only takes "one thing" to make the trip a success, and this meeting probably could be considered in the "one thing" category.

We then went out to lunch on "Arab Street," a shopping area near a mosque (about a quarter of the population are Malaysian Muslims). It took us about 15 or 20 minutes to get there by cab, but that didn't stop us from taking a mini death-march back to the hotel in the rain after we were done. Allen and I usually take one death march per city. :)

Pete

No comments: