Friday, July 10, 2009

Thoroughly Amused

During the summer on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, Oaks Amusement Park gives kids under 6 unlimited "kiddie" rides for $6. So I fulfilled my suburban motherly duty and took D + J. I couldn't really bring myself to get out my camera after taking all those pictures of the carnival at the balloon festival a few weeks ago. The above shot was about all I could muster. The kids seemed to enjoy themselves.

Then we walked to some picnic benches over by the river to eat lunch, and happened to sit near a gate and steps down to the river bank. Daphne really wanted to go down. I just wanted to go home. But I capitulated, and I'm so glad I did!

After the intense and sort of icky fun that happens at a bustling amusement park, going down to the water was, to say the least, refreshing. But there was something very special about that few minutes we spent on the sand, and I don't think I'll ever forget the experience. The kids were so calm and so perfectly content. They didn't run around or ask to go into the water or demand that I magically produce sand toys. All they wanted to do was feel the sand between their fingers and look at the river.

(my new favorite picture of James)
(ASL sign for "sand")
(the real sign for "sand")



It's sort of trendy right now (and very prevalent on mommy-type blogs) for families to get "back to basics" and "live the simple life." I am all for this way of thinking and living, in my own way. We try not to have too much "stuff" around the house, but sometimes I think we try to do too much. Still, I can't help but think it was the contrast of the over-stimulation and "amusement" that immediately preceded that made the beach so special, peaceful, and memorable.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"...and when tired at last, he sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea." (Wind in the Willows.)
Peaceful - and D & J look like they are enjoying themselves. Beautiful pics!